Motorolans are dedicated to solving problems that improve people’s lives, whether it’s through the mobile devices we create or through giving back to the communities where we live and work. In that spirit, today 300 Motorolans are giving back to the community through Motoserve, our annual day of service at Motorola Mobility’s global headquarters in Chicago.
The Motorola Mobility Foundation -- Motorola’s charitable and philanthropic arm -- has partnered with Chicago Cares for the second year in a row to try to make a difference in some of the city’s under-resourced neighborhoods through hands-on service. Motorolans are providing lunch to needy senior citizens, beautifying schools and community spaces with murals and fresh paint, and acknowledging the service and sacrifice of our nation’s veterans with transition and aid kits.
We’re proud that Motorolans are providing their time and talent in the community today. Some of the specific ways that our volunteer teams are making a difference are:
- Humboldt Park - Casa Central: Hosting a Kids Olympics, organizing a Casino Day and adding a fresh coat of paint to the Auditorium, a room that is in use nearly every day of the year.
- Back of the Yards - Hedges Elementary: Creating colorful mosaics, painting classrooms, and constructing bookcases in an effort to beautify the school for students and staff.
- Near West Side - Hope Institute: Giving the school a fresh look by painting the cafeteria and creating four colorful murals throughout the hallways.
- Bronzeville - Lincoln Perry Apartments: Spending quality time with senior residents while cooking and serving a meal, playing Bingo and making fleece blankets.
- Merchandise Mart - Motorola Mobility: Assembling 350 Welcome Home Kits for Veterans and Active Service Members to thank them for their service and help them set-up their new homes. Collecting, sorting and packaging close to 1500 hats and gloves that will keep Chicago's children, adults and seniors warm this winter.
Today’s activities are part of a year-round series of volunteer programs offered by the Motorola Mobility Foundation to Motorola’s employees. The Foundation’s mission is to catalyze the innovative use of technology to improve lives and communities. It does this by leveraging employee expertise and talent, providing funding, and partnering with nonprofits, learning institutions, startups, government, corporate and civic organizations.
Click here to learn more about the Motorola Mobility Foundation.